Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
15 Dec 1996 16:12:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure compres@world.std.com (1996-11-14)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure farzu@cs.tamu.edu (Francisco Arzu) (1996-11-14)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1996-11-19)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-11-19)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure gianni@engr.sgi.com (Gianni Mariani) (1996-12-03)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure icedancer@ibm.net (1996-12-07)
Re: Beginner help with LALR(1) closure salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Dec 1996 16:12:01 -0500

Gianni Mariani <gianni@engr.sgi.com> wrote:
|> Do we care any more ? Are LR(1) tables so big that todays processors
|> are unable to deal with them effectivly ? (seem X lately ?).

The method of DeRemer and Penello produces exactly the same LALR(1)
parse tables, it just does it faster than the algorithms in the Dragon
book. So only compiler implementors would care about this and only if
they were reprocessing their grammars over and over.

Grammars for modern programming languages seem to be getting bigger
than olden day grammars and parser generation time is worse than
linear in the length of the grammar (perhaps as bad as n**2). So
maybe we still need to worry about parser generation speed. However,
since processors are getting faster too, maybe it is all balancing
out.

--
Daniel J. Salomon -- salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA
              Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba