Re: Looking for an approach...Incremental Optimization

mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (Marc Wachowitz)
9 Dec 1996 00:05:58 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for an approach...Incremental Optimization bear@sonic.net (Ray S. Dillinger) (1996-12-07)
Re: Looking for an approach...Incremental Optimization mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (1996-12-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (Marc Wachowitz)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Dec 1996 00:05:58 -0500

Ray S. Dillinger (bear@sonic.net) wrote:
> But now I'm dealing with *dynamically* compiled languages (scheme to
> be exact) and compilation of computed (or user-input) expressions is
> part of the runtime. And some of these expressions are executed
> thousands of times and some (many) of them once. [how do I decide if or
> how to optimize? ]

Good information about this topic is available from
http://self.smli.com, the home page for the Self programming language
and system. The thesis of Craig Chambers, at
http://self.smli.com/papers/craig-thesis.html, does contain a lot of
that stuff in one piece (but the other papers are surely worth
reading, too).

-- Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>