Interpreter in PL/1

sven <sven@innet.be>
3 Dec 1996 20:52:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreter in PL/1 sven@innet.be (sven) (1996-12-03)
Re: Interpreter in PL/1 j.r.ferguson@iname.com (1996-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: sven <sven@innet.be>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 1996 20:52:01 -0500

Hey Guy's,

I am writing an interpreter in PL/1??? I can see you heads now looking
at the terminal: "PL/1???????".

Yep. PL/1. It's a challenge :) I am inventing the wheel.

I am writing an expression evaluator to process some number crunching
without having to recompile the whole program back again.
ex: Put 1+1 into the interpreter, and 2 comes out...

I am planning to put some flow control statements in it too.
I am not using any tools like LEX and YACC to make my grammar work. I am
writing the whole thing in pure PL/1 using recursive descent techniques.
In fact, I am writing PL/1 in PL/1.
Does anybody have some more examples of source coding in C, (PL/1??),
pascal or other non object oriented language of an implementation of an
interpreter with type checing and flow control?
I am fed up with searching through the web looking for an interpreter
that doesn't use parsing and lexing tables to do the job?

I am interpreting the source code at run time. I am very aware that this
is not the best thing to do, but I think that it is good enough for now.
Later I wil extend the interpreter by constructing a parsing tree for
processing the flow inside, before I execute any statement in the input.

Sorry for my bad English...

tanx,
Sven

sven@innet.be