Generating Java Bytecode

gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com
18 Nov 1996 00:25:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generating Java Bytecode gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com (1996-11-18)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode torhr@storm.stud.ntnu.no (1996-11-19)
Generating Java Bytecode nasser@apldbio.COM (Nasser Abbasi) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode kuznetso@MIT.EDU (1996-11-19)
Generating Java Bytecode w.purvis@daresbury.ac.uk (Bill Purvis) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode macrakis@app2.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode chapados@nortel.ca (nicolas (n.) chapados) (1996-11-19)

From: gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Nov 1996 00:25:01 -0500

Does anyone have an opinion on generating bytecode for languages other
than java ?

I can't see any reason why in principle a C or C++ compiler couldnt be
developed that produces bytecode, this way we could all write in our
favourite language yet still get all the powerful benefits of Java.

So far as I can see it's not Java that the clever idea its the
universal machine language (bytecode) that it produces.

Hugo
[Universal machine intermediate languages go back to the 1950s, and
they've never worked. From what I've seen of the Java intermediate
language, it works fine for Java, OK for Ada, not so great for anything
else. In particular, it specifically doesn't include C's wild 'n' crazy
pointer rules. -John]