Re: 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

oz@nexus.yorku.ca (ozan s. yigit)
12 Nov 1996 22:00:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth rasnick@wt.net (Jack Rasnick) (1996-10-30)
Re: 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth mikeq@primenet.com (1996-11-01)
Re: 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth oz@nexus.yorku.ca (1996-11-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: oz@nexus.yorku.ca (ozan s. yigit)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.oberon
Date: 12 Nov 1996 22:00:10 -0500

      I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
      Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler. I have a couple of
      questions.

      Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet? Also, does the
      compiler generate DOS or Win95 executables?

We have the book in Canada. I peeked at it quickly: It describes a
subset of Oberon, with the type of pragmatic detail as you may expect
from Wirth. I would recommend it for undergrad students especially, or
anyone who would like to get into writing small recursive-descent
compilers with the least amount of seasickness. A bigger compiler is
described in the Oberon book itself, but not with this detail. I do
not think it generates dos executables.

oz (oz@border.com)