Re: Best way to create IDE ?

Vassili Bykov <vbykov@cam.org>
5 Nov 1996 23:35:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Best way to create IDE ? speff@io.org (1996-11-03)
Re: Best way to create IDE ? vbykov@cam.org (Vassili Bykov) (1996-11-05)
Re: Best way to create IDE ? alcino@mundau.dcc.ufal.br (1996-11-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vassili Bykov <vbykov@cam.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 1996 23:35:02 -0500

speff@io.org (Spehro Pefhany) writes:
> Not a compiler question per se, but if I have a nice command line
> compiler working (PC platform), what would be the easiest and best way
> to make an IDE for it? Must have no royalties.

Emacs. (Of course, people have different ideas of what IDE is and
what it should provide.) If the error messages your compiler prints
follow GNU format (like "foo.c:10: you don't really want to do this")
you get stepping through errors in the source files right out of the
box. You can add whatever you want to that: syntax highlighting,
auto-indentation, etc.

Your luck depends on what your "PC platform" is, of course. Linux or
BSD are the best, there are ports to Windoze NT and 95 too, with some
limitations.

--Vassili