Re: Difference between Interpreter and DR

Christian Smith <christians@rcp.co.uk>
18 Oct 1996 08:42:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Difference between Interpreter and DR grs124@psu.edu (Greg Simon) (1996-10-16)
Difference between Interpreter and DR stephenb@harlequin.co.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1996-10-18)
Re: Difference between Interpreter and DR christians@rcp.co.uk (Christian Smith) (1996-10-18)
Re: Difference between Interpreter and DR pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-10-20)
Re: Difference between Interpreter and DR ejdiamo@vnet.ibm.com (1996-10-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christian Smith <christians@rcp.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 1996 08:42:01 -0400

Greg Simon wrote:
> I'm confused about the difference between an interpreter and a DR
> (dynamic recompiler). I assume the DR generates native machine language
> on the fly, and then executes it; whereas an interpreter just has a set
> of routines to execute for different types of icode encountered, right?

I don't think a DR has to convert to native code. It may compile it
into another type icode that is quicker to interpret. This is
certainly a valid form of compilation.

An interpreter acts on the source as is, without storing the results
of parsing. When a section of code is re-executed, it is re-parsed.
A DR would store this previously parsed code in another form for
re-execution in the future, without needing to reparse.