Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family

josuka@inf.deusto.es (JosuKa Diaz Labrador)
16 Oct 1996 17:34:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1996-10-08)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family buehlman@iwf.bepr.ethz.ch (1996-10-10)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family luginb_c@simultan.ch (1996-10-15)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1996-10-15)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family josuka@inf.deusto.es (1996-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: josuka@inf.deusto.es (JosuKa Diaz Labrador)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Oct 1996 17:34:20 -0400

pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (Paulo Jose Matos Lopes Pinto) wrote:

> I'm trying to do a compiler for a language that derives from Pascal
>(Oberon).
> The problem is with the symbol table for types, because the types have to
>be type-name compatible and not structured compatible, that makes a bit hard
>to manipulate the builtin names,like CHAR, REAL, among others.

First, this is the only problem of name compatibility; normally, to
implement name compatibility is easier that to implement structural
compatibility.

> I decided to create symbols that relate with them, but this solution is a
>problem if the user decides to create an identifier with the same name that
>a builtin symbol.
> Some help would be welcome.

You have to put "standard names" (as 'char', 'real', 'write', 'true',
and so on) "in a block that surrounds the whole program" (I think I
quote quasi literally Wirth, User Manual&Report). So, when the program
(globally, indeed) redefines 'integer', this redefiniton is in the
program (or some subprogram) block, not in the standard block. You
have to care: when a thing is of type 'integer', as the constant 123,
you have to assign it the correct type, that of the standard block.

| JosuKa Diaz Labrador | josuka@inf.deusto.es |
| Dpto. Lenguajes y Sistemas | Apartado 1 |
| Informaticos | 48080 - BILBAO - SPAIN |
| Facultad de Informatica | Tel. 34.4.445.31.00 x2609 |
| Universidad de Deusto | Fax. 34.4.445.14.08 |