Re: code transformations?

ma@camcon.co.uk (Michael Andersen)
25 Sep 1996 21:07:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code transformations? lord@emf.net (1996-09-22)
Re: code transformations? null@diku.dk (1996-09-23)
Re: code transformations? cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1996-09-23)
Re: code transformations? ma@camcon.co.uk (1996-09-25)
Re: code transformations? darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-09-26)
Re: code transformations? meulenbr@prl.philips.nl (1996-09-26)
Re: code transformations? albaugh@agames.com (1996-09-26)
Re: code transformations? torbenm@diku.dk (1996-09-29)
Re: code transformations? ndc@icanect.net (Norman Culver) (1996-09-29)
Re: code transformations? kaz@nt.com (1996-10-03)

From: ma@camcon.co.uk (Michael Andersen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 1996 21:07:32 -0400

Tom Lord writes:
  > So the question is, has anybody written such a program? Will anyone?
  > Would releasing such a program on the net be like the SATAN of IP?
  > [There are certainly C obfuscators, but the ones I know of perform primarily
  > lexical smooshing. -John]

CodeShroud (?) from Gimpel Software (the Lint people) will do various semantics
preserving operations such as turning while() and for() loops into labelled
goto: structures in addition to the mangled names. I don't have their
material handy, so there may be many more nasties they've implemented.

I believe it is distributed in obfuscated form (physician, heal thyself) for
distribution on many target platforms - their Unix Lint is anyway.

| Michael Andersen |
| Cambridge Consultants Ltd. tel: +44 (0)1223 420024 |
| Science Park, Milton Road fax: +44 (0)1223 423373 |
| Cambridge CB4 4DW, England email: ma@camcon.co.uk |