Searching for a journal paper on C++ design

salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA (Daniel J. Salomon)
16 Sep 1996 14:33:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Searching for a journal paper on C++ design salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA (1996-09-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA (Daniel J. Salomon)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Sep 1996 14:33:24 -0400

Fairly recently I read an interesting paper that evaluated the success
of C++ at eliminating the need for a preprocessor. It showed how
difficult it is to write simple C++ code that replaces common C macros
such as:
        #define MAX(x,y) ((x)>(y)?(x):(y))
The essence of the problem was in trying to achieve the same level of
polymorphism. It went through the possibilities including function
overloading and templates.

I thought that I had read this article in ACM SIGPLAN Notices within the
past year, but I checked back very carefully for three years and could
not find it. I also checked three years of Dr. Dobb's Journal.

Can anyone help me find this article, I need to reference it in a
current work. Duplicating the discussion is quite space consuming. I
tried asking this question on comp.lang.misc, but got no replies.