Question about Unicode in C and C++

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
15 Sep 1996 00:22:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about Unicode in C and C++ anthony@cs.utexas.edu (1996-09-06)
Re: Question about Unicode in C and C++ Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk (1996-09-06)
Question about Unicode in C and C++ derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-09-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Sep 1996 00:22:02 -0400

anthony@cs.utexas.edu "Hung Hing Anthony Pang" writes:
> Could somebody tell me that is there any Unicode support for C/C++ programs?
> i.e. functions available to convert ASCII to/from Unicode. Information for
> both Unix and Windows platforms are desired.

In 1994 SC22/WG14 (the ISO working group responsible for C) published
Amendment 1. Most of this document deals with additional librray functions
to handle multi-byte characters.

WG14 is currently working on C9X. There is a proposal on the table
to support the writing of identifiers using characters from
ISO 10646 (it is based on trigraphs, ??/u12345)

The ASCII values have the same value in Unicode. They simply have zero
bytes on the front.

derek

--
Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667