Re: HP-UX Disassembler

rowan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Gregory Rowan)
20 Aug 1996 23:06:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HP-UX Disassembler matt@landlub.ucsd.edu (Matt Sienko) (1996-08-15)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1996-08-19)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler rowan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (1996-08-20)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler Marovich@hplms2.hpl.hp.com (1996-08-24)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler gerdb@bbn.hp.com (1996-08-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rowan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Gregory Rowan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 20 Aug 1996 23:06:08 -0400

Matt Sienko (matt@landlub.ucsd.edu) wrote:
> I'm looking for a disassembler that will disasemble object code produced
> by the cc C compiler. I'm running it on an HP9000 j210 with a PA-RISC
> 7200 proseccor on HP-UX 9. If anybody knows if there is a feature in
> HP-UX or cc that does this or where I could get such a program, please
> tell me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Writing one isn't very hard. do a man on a.out to find the format of an
a.out file (which is VERY regular). Then since it is a RISC machine, you
just get each instruction and do bit shifting and stuff to get the
registers. And each instruction can be computed by the opcode. You will
need to consult the manual for the chip to know what opcode corresponds to
what bit pattern. I already wrote one for the SPARC chip, so a HP-PA should
be very similar.

GREG