flex - solaris/linux problem

Steven Hindle <shindle@primenet.com>
19 Aug 1996 23:15:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
flex - solaris/linux problem shindle@primenet.com (Steven Hindle) (1996-08-19)
Re: flex - solaris/linux problem ngreen@plains.nodak.edu (1996-08-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steven Hindle <shindle@primenet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Aug 1996 23:15:18 -0400

Hi all,

    I have a stupid question...I'm trying the example from the ORA lex &
yacc book. It's just supposed to echo output to the screen(STDOUT ??)
Anyway..it wont work with the following setup:
flex 2.5.3, gcc 2.7.2(ELF), linux 2.0.0 or Solaris 2.5
here is the lex input file:
%{
/*
test
*/
%}
%%
.|\n ECHO;
%%

I gen'd it thus: flex -I junk.l
compiled & linked: gcc lex.yy.c -o test -lfl

Everything seems fine, but when I run 'test' it just returns without doing
anything. ( Note: I did use -I)

The really screwy part is if I run it under gbd and break on 'main' then
step....it works PERFECTLY !!??

Thanx
Steve Hindle
(Newbie at large :) )
shindle@primenet.com
[Works fine on my BSD/OS box, is this maybe a shared library peculiarity?
-John]