Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books

mpg@teleport.com (Michael P. Gerlek)
26 Jul 1996 23:25:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books mpg@teleport.com (1996-07-26)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books hbaker@netcom.com (1996-07-27)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books rfg@monkeys.com (1996-07-28)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books koopman@cs.cmu.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books paco@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1996-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mpg@teleport.com (Michael P. Gerlek)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jul 1996 23:25:31 -0400

[newsgroups list trimmed]

In article <31F8F094.5993@cisco.com> John Ahlstrom <jahlstro@cisco.com> writes:

> It seems that there are several classic, irreplaceable comp arch books
> out of print, e.g.
> [...]
> Wulf's Compiler Optimization and Hydra books

"Design of an Optimizing Compiler" by Wulf et al (North-Holland, 1975)
is (was) available through University Microfilms (800-521-0600).

> Is there any way that we can get the copyrights returned
> to their authors and then figure out how to get them on-line?

You have to work this through the author and publisher (as was done
with the arch book that started this thread). Difficult, but
possible with enough push.

> What others ought to be made available in one of these ways?

In the compiler world, these books are now out of print and quietly
becoming lost to history:

- "Flow Analysis of Computer Programs" by Hecht (North-Holland, 1977)
- "Engineering a Compiler: VAX-11 Code Generation and Optimization" by
    Anklam et al (Digital Press, 1982)
- "Program Flow Analysis: Theory and Applications" by Muchnik and
    Jones (Prentice-Hall, 1981)
- "Design and Optimization of Compilers" by Rustin (ed.)
    (Prentice-Hall, 1971)

In a former life, we tried to track down copies of these and a couple
other classic compiler texts I don't have the cites for right now, but
with little success.

Michael P. Gerlek / mpg@flaxen.com
[I was at one point trying to put out a series of reissued computer classics,
and got as far as getting permissions from Wulf et al., but I couldn't find
a publisher to do it, and it's pretty risky to do it yourself unless you have
a whole lot of pre-pub orders, like several thousand. -John]