Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools...

mkgardne@pertsserver.cs.uiuc.edu (Mark K. Gardner)
30 Jun 1996 16:34:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
is lex useful? kelley@phys.ocean.dal.ca (Dan E. Kelley) (1996-06-21)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... inpact5@clr34el.der.edf.fr (INPACT5 inpact5) (1996-06-26)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... scooter@mccabe.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1996-06-27)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... bsspak@bath.ac.uk (P A Keller) (1996-06-27)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... mkgardne@pertsserver.cs.uiuc.edu (1996-06-30)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... daniels@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (1996-07-02)
Re: is lex useful? Or how about these other tools... preston@tera.com (1996-07-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mkgardne@pertsserver.cs.uiuc.edu (Mark K. Gardner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 1996 16:34:10 -0400

INPACT5 inpact5 (inpact5@clr34el.der.edf.fr) wrote:
: I've been looking at compiler tools for a few weeks now and
: I'd rather like an answer to your question as well. I would
: also like to add a bit to it...
: Which is the better system of compiler tools :
: pccts
: lex/yacc (flex/bison/byacc/...)
: muskox
: visual parse++
: eli
: txl
: Any other reasonable ones that I missed?

I have been using Coco/R recently and have found it to be quite easy to
generate scanner/parsers using it. The scanner and parser specifications
are in the same file, which I find to be a great improvement and the parser
is specified via extended BNF. Coco/R generates a reasonably efficient
scanner and a recursive decent parser. It is quite easy to annotate the
parser spec with arbitrary actions that are performed upon recognition.

There are several versions of Coco/R available depending on your
linguistic tendencies:

    C: ftp://cs.ru.ac.za:/pub/coco/cocorc04.zip
    Modula-2: ftp://neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/Coco/
    Oberon: ftp://neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/Oberon/Examples/Coco/

I am also enclosing a post by Pat Terry which gives you his slant
on things.

-Mark- mkgardne@cs.uiuc.edu

[The post was number 95-02-102. You can find it in the archives at
http://iecc.com/compilers, or from the mail server at
compilers-server@iecc.com. -John]