Re: is lex useful?

qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson)
23 Jun 1996 23:21:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
is lex useful? kelley@phys.ocean.dal.ca (Dan E. Kelley) (1996-06-21)
Re: is lex useful? qjackson@direct.ca (1996-06-23)
Re: is lex useful? rkanagy@erols.com (Ronald Kanagy) (1996-06-23)
Re: is lex useful? qjackson@direct.ca (1996-06-24)
Re: is lex useful? kelley@Phys.Ocean.Dal.Ca (1996-06-24)
Re: is lex useful? Scott.Nicol@infoadvan.com (1996-06-24)
Re: is lex useful? kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (1996-06-24)
Re: is lex useful? bos@serpentine.com (1996-06-26)

From: qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jun 1996 23:21:18 -0400

On 21 Jun 1996 17:07:17 -0400, kelley@phys.ocean.dal.ca wrote:

>Although all the books suggest that lex is a good thing, even a great
>thing, [few people seem to use it]

>So, my question is: if lex is useful, why isn't it used? Is there
>some snag (speed problems, perhaps, or difficult to port code?) that
>makes it smart to avoid lex?

I personally am not fond of lex for several reasons:

      a) I don't like its code interface,
      b) I don't like having RE's hardcoded -- I prefer a system that
can parse patterns and match them at run-time if need be.

Cheers,

Quinn

--
        Parsepolis Software || Quinn Tyler Jackson
                "ParseCity" || qjackson@direct.ca