Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++

"Daniel C. Wang" <dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
27 May 1996 22:18:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ moresys@world.std.com (1996-05-19)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-05-19)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ robison@kai.com (Arch Robison) (1996-05-21)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-05-24)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ wws@renaissance.cray.com (1996-05-25)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ tmb@best.com (1996-05-26)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (1996-05-27)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-06-08)
Re: Using C as an UNCOL toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1996-06-09)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ d.love@daresbury.ac.uk (Dave Love) (1996-06-13)
Re: Using C as an UNCOL dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-06-13)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ bos@serpentine.com (1996-06-14)
C as a target language conway@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Charles CONWAY) (1996-06-14)

From: "Daniel C. Wang" <dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 1996 22:18:12 -0400

> [The goal of UNCOL was to have a universal intermediate language which would
> let you mix and match multiple language front ends and multiple architecture
> back ends. I don't think anyone denies that if you have a single source
> language, there are plenty of multi-targeted systems that work well. Do
> recall that this particular line of discussion started with the suggestion
> that languages like C and C++ might be compiled into JVM as a way to achieve
> universal portability. -John]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned C as a resonably sucessful multi-langauge
multi-target UNCOL. f2c,p2c,m2c, Scheme->C, sml2c, Mercury, ghc, .... all
compile to C to obtain some pretty resonable performance and a good deal of
portability, with a few warts of course. Compiling to C is really just a
cheap hack to interface with traditional compiler backends so
compiler/langauge implementors don't reinvent the wheel all the time. The
world doens't need UNCOL, just a well designed "universal" backend with a
clean interface. Course the interface may be an UNCOL of sorts.