Re: Source to Source Compiler?

Norman Culver <ndc@icanect.net>
19 May 1996 17:41:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Source to Source Compiler? Christoph.Niedermeier@zfe.siemens.de (1996-05-10)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones) (1996-05-13)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1996-05-13)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? pdonovan@netcom.com (1996-05-14)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? kalle@poet.de (Dr. Karl Prott) (1996-05-14)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? ndc@icanect.net (Norman Culver) (1996-05-19)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? grosch@cocolab.sub.com (1996-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Norman Culver <ndc@icanect.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 May 1996 17:41:58 -0400

Christoph Niedermeier wrote:

> We are intending to build a frontend compiler which translates ANSI C
> plus our own extensions to pure ANSI C. Our idea is to use the sources
> of the GNU C-Compiler and modify them such that C code is produced
> instead of assembler code.
>
> Is there anyone who has done such a job and can give advice? Maybe
> there is even some modified gcc frontend or other software serving
> this purpose ?

There is a compiler OXCC which does what you want to do and a bunch
of other things like compile time interpretation and regeneration
of source (including malloced pointers). It can be found by searching
for OXCC1430.ZIP on the web. I wrote the darn thing but it's been
a year since I touched it and I haven't kept track of the ftp sites
that have it. It generates output in an Architecture Neutral Format
and I've included a couple of back end samples. If you think that
it suits your needs I can make the source available for free providing
that you agree to share any improvements with me. It currently uses
an application framework which isn't quite ready for prime time but
does work ok. The compiler compiles itself successfully. If you
use the application framework to call it, you get access to the AST
and all of the symbol tables. In fact a program being
compiled/interpreted can call the compiler and put the result into
the data segment of the first compilation (there is a sample which shows
this). I've already added most of the GCC extensions + others. Java+ is
next.
Norman David Culver Oxbow Software (954)463-4754
1323 SE 17th Street Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316 ndc@icanect.net