Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers

baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl
19 May 1996 14:28:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Does Duff Device break C compilers Lambert.Lum@eng.efi.com (Lambert Lum) (1996-05-06)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers preston@tera.com (1996-05-07)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers krste@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (1996-05-08)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers jeremy@floyd.sw.oz.au (1996-05-10)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers rankin@eql.caltech.edu (1996-05-10)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers msb@sq.com (1996-05-10)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers preston@tera.com (1996-05-13)
Re: Does Duff Device break C compilers baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1996-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 May 1996 14:28:18 -0400

Preston Briggs (preston@tera.com) wrote:
: >item called Duff's Device. I showed to a couple of guys here at my
: >work place and they never seen it before. Then they declared that such
: >an unorthodox technique could potential break some C compilers.

: I agree with the moderator. It's not obvious, but it's not that hard
: to compile. I'd expect everyone to get it right. On the other hand,
: I wouldn't be surprised if the resulting code wasn't that great. Why?
: It makes an irreducible loop and lots of optimizers don't do much with
: irreducible loops. Also hard to software pipeline, etc.

Certainly the compiler I worked on recognized 'conventionally written'
switch statements and converted them to a structured statement that was
properly optimized. The Duffs device code would not be handled this way, it
would be routed to the 'I don't know whats happening here, I had better play
safe and turn of all optimizations' code generator.

--
Stephen Baynes baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl
Philips Semiconductors Ltd