Re: Source to Source Compiler?

"Dr. Karl Prott" <kalle@poet.de>
14 May 1996 20:18:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Source to Source Compiler? Christoph.Niedermeier@zfe.siemens.de (1996-05-10)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones) (1996-05-13)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1996-05-13)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? pdonovan@netcom.com (1996-05-14)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? kalle@poet.de (Dr. Karl Prott) (1996-05-14)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? ndc@icanect.net (Norman Culver) (1996-05-19)
Re: Source to Source Compiler? grosch@cocolab.sub.com (1996-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Dr. Karl Prott" <kalle@poet.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 May 1996 20:18:09 -0400

Alex Colvin wrote:
> What I do is turn the C source into a parse tree, then do tree
> transforms on it. This is hard or easy depending on the nature of the
> transforms. I annotate tree nodes with various information - the
> declaration node for each variable reference, the type for
> expressions, as well as bits for const, lvalue, etc.

I agree that Alex Colvin describes a good way. But I would use Eli, which
offers a lot of help for source-source compilation. Here is a
german link of Eli, but in ftp.cs.colorado there is an Eli link too.
There I don't know the exact directory.

ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/unix/eli

The Eli team distributes an ANSI-C grammar for Eli. Furthermore Eli is able
to generate from this grammar (automatically) an Eli-specification for a
C-C compiler, which will be a very good starting point.

Kalle

| Dr. Karl Prott | Privat: |
| Fossredder 12 | Minzeweg 20 | Berner Heerweg 88a |
| 22359 Hamburg | 33100 Paderborn | 22159 Hamburg |
| Tel.: 040-60990-262 | 05251-65805 | 040-664958 |