How to port gcc?

Ross Bagley <rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.EDU>
10 Apr 1996 08:31:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to port gcc? rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.EDU (Ross Bagley) (1996-04-10)
Re: How to port gcc? nr@cs.purdue.edu (1996-04-11)
Re: How to port gcc? sal714@rs710.gsfc.nasa.gov (1996-04-28)
How to port gcc? bill.williams@gecm.com (R.A.L Williams) (1996-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ross Bagley <rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Apr 1996 08:31:16 -0400

I am interested in writing a new back-end for gcc (new processor
architecture+instruction set), but lack sufficent knowledge. Can
anyone help?

I have taken a graduate level compilers course, own and can refer to
the dragon book when necessary, and have tried to read the GNU
documentation on GCC "Using and Porting GNU CC".

My basic problem is that I haven't found a description of a minimum
set of instruction patterns sufficient to define a back-end for gcc.
The GCC docs never seem to make that point clear, in fact, I don't
even have a good idea of where to begin writing patterns.

Along the same vein, can someone clarify for me where to locate the
information to retarget the GNU assembler? There is a section in the
GNU CC docs on the subject but it deals with machine specific assembly
differences, not machine-instruction output. The GAS docs don't
contain any useful information regarding this subject (although each
machine specific assembler does have a section in the docs).

-- Ross Bagley rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.edu