Re: Functional languages

jaidi@ubd.edu.bn
10 Apr 1996 08:25:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Functional Languages ecclesja@cs.aston.ac.uk (J.A. Eccleston) (1992-10-09)
Re: Functional Languages khattra@cs.sfu.ca (1992-10-10)
Functional languages gclind01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (1996-04-06)
Re: Functional languages leavens@cs.iastate.edu (1996-04-08)
Re: Functional languages jaidi@ubd.edu.bn (1996-04-10)
Re: Functional languages jon@fwi.uva.nl (1996-04-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jaidi@ubd.edu.bn
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Apr 1996 08:25:45 -0400

>@Book{Peyton-Jones-Lester92, Key="Peyton Jones \& Lester",
>Author="S. L. {Peyton Jones} and David Lester",
>Title="Implementing Functional Languages: A Tutorial",
>Publisher="Prentice-Hall",
>Address="Englewood Cliffs, N.J.",
>Year=1992,
>Annote="35 references."
>}

There is another book by the same author (Simon L Peyton Jones):
    The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages

In my opinion, anybody who wants to implement functional language must
also read Introduction to Functional Programming by Richard Bird &
Philip Wadler.

One question: Is there any published C/C++ implementation of P Jones'
'kernel' (free of charge, of course :-) ? I forget what he named it
but I sure would like to mess with it.

In the book he implemented it using a functional language. Typical,
and illustrative of the power of the implementation language. But it
deprives many readers who do not have the bootstrap language (and too
busy/lazy to translate it into another). But I must congratulate the
author for the mathematical derivation of his 'kernel'. Now I wonder
if commercial compiler writers derive their compilers with the same
mathematical vigor. No!? Then that explains the bugs...(No flame
please. I know compiler is a beast and you're working hard).

Nor Jaidi | email: jaidi@ubd.edu.bn
Department of Mathematics |
Universiti Brunei Darussalam | phone: 673-2-249001 ext 309
Brunei 2028 | fax: 673-2-249003