Re: Question: use FPU as simple VLIW?

Peter.Damron@Eng.Sun.COM (Peter C. Damron)
28 Mar 1996 22:48:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: C code .vs. Assembly code for Microcontrollers/DSPs ? elvey@hal.com (1996-03-17)
Question: use FPU as simple VLIW? jenks@hevanet.com (Kevin Baker) (1996-03-27)
Re: Question: use FPU as simple VLIW? shubu@cs.wisc.edu (1996-03-28)
Re: Question: use FPU as simple VLIW? Peter.Damron@Eng.Sun.COM (1996-03-28)
Re: Question: use FPU as simple VLIW? khays@sequent.com (1996-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Peter.Damron@Eng.Sun.COM (Peter C. Damron)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 28 Mar 1996 22:48:37 -0500

Kevin Baker <jenks@hevanet.com> writes:
>I was wondering if any ILP research has been done in the area of using
>the FPU as a sort of VLIW co-processor when it was not being used for
>regular FPU operations. It seems that the compiler could give some
>work to the FPU, even if it were just adding numbers together. ...

You might want to look at the VIS instructions on Sun's UltraSPARC
chips. They operate on small vectors of small integers in the FP
registers. They are primarily intended for graphics and multimedia
applications, but they could perhaps be used by the compiler or for
other applications.

You could check out:
http://www.sun.com
or
http://www.sun.com/sparc/Net.Engine
or
http://www.sun.com/sparc/whitepapers/UltraSPARCtechnology/

Hope this helps,
Peter.

Peter C. Damron, (not speaking for) SunSoft, a Sun Microsystems, Inc. Business
SPARCompilers, UMPK 16-303, 2550 Garcia Ave. Mtn. View, CA 94043
peter.damron@eng.sun.com