Compiler positions available for week ending February 18

compilers-jobs@iecc.com
18 Feb 1996 13:31:00 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending February 18 compilers@iecc.com (2001-02-23)
Compiler positions available for week ending February 18 compilers-jobs@iecc.com (1996-02-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: compilers-jobs@iecc.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,misc.jobs.offered
Date: 18 Feb 1996 13:31:00 -0500

This is a digest of ``help wanted'' and ``position available'' messages
received at comp.compilers during the preceding week. Messages must
advertise a position having something to do with compilers and must also
conform to the guidelines periodically posted in misc.jobs.offered.
Positions that remain open may be re-advertised once a month. To respond
to a job offer, send mail to the author of the message. To submit a
message, mail it to compilers@iecc.com.

-------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 12:45:10 -0800
From: pattykra@ix.netcom.com (x)
Subject: Compiler Positions for Intel in Arizona

4 Compiler Positions Open

Intel's Arizona Compiler Group is looking for compiler engineers to
work on C and C++ compilation systems for high-performance 32-bit
embedded RISC processors. The team has the dual charter of working
closely with microprocessor architects to explore new architectures,
and to develop highly optimizing compilers that provide complete
program development solutions to customers.

All positions require BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
with compiler development experience using C or C++ in UNIX and
MS-Windows environments. Experience with GNU compiler technology will
be an advantage.

Job Description

* Work closely with microprocessor designers to define new
architectures, evaluate implementation tradeoffs, run simulations and
analyze performance benchmarks
* Implement state-of-the-art compiler optimizations to take advantage
of processor features
* Integrate C and C++ front-ends with optimizing back-ends
* Provide robust and feature-rich programming environments for
application developers
* Incorporate customer feedback into definition and implementation of
next-generation program development environments

Prior experience in C and C++ front-ends, code generation or code
optimization is necessary. Candidate with strong background in
microprocessor architecture will be preferred.

This position offers an excellent salary, bonus, and relocation
package.

Please respond by emailing an ASCII resume to: evan@ix.netcom.com

-------------------------------

From: Lutz Hamel <hamel@Think.COM>
Subject: Run-time Developer sought -- Thinking Machines Corp.
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:51:35 -0500 (EST)

      COMPILER RUNTIME DEVELOPERS -- THINKING MACHINES

      We are looking for a few good people...

For more than a decade, Thinking Machines Corporation
has been one of the world's leading computer companies
in advancing the capability and use of high performance
computing. Through its unique expertise in parallel
processing technology it has developed three generations
of world-class hardware, software, and complementary
support systems. Now we are beginning a new and exciting
growth strategy to open up our technology to new hardware
platforms and application environments. Thinking Machines
is uniquely positioned to deliver state-of-the-art,
cost-effective systems on standard industry platforms.

      Join Thinking Machines' compiler team building state-of-the-art
      data-parallel compilers for High Performance Fortran, C*, and
      data-parallel C++.

* Design and implement our cross-platform runtime system based
on MPI supporting our HPF and C* compilers.

* Help us identify and implement cutting-edge optimizations such
as message aggregation and stencils for networks of workstations
and SMP's .

* Design Thinking Machines' new runtime system for our next
generation of compilers.

* Integrate our runtime system and Prism, a highly interactive
and visual, parallel software development environment.

      Requirements: BSCS or equiv., 5+ years software engineering experience
      including 3+ years in parallel program development and data motion;
      proficiency in C and UNIX. C++ experience desirable.

      Thinking Machines Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.

      Please mail or fax your resume to:
      Nancy Forte
      Human Resources
      Thinking Machines Corporation
      14 Crosby Drive
      Bedford, MA 01730

      FAX: (617) 280-2860
      e-mail: nancyf@think.com

-------------------------------

Subject: Help Wanted: intern position at Intel (Oregon)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 15:09:48 PST
From: "Michael P. Gerlek" <gerlek@ibeam.jf.intel.com>

Intel's Compiler Prototyping group is looking for graduate-level
students to work as interns this summer in the Microcomputer Software
Lab in Oregon. We are also interested in co-op students for other
parts of the year.

The work involves performance analysis and compiler modifications to
target the unique features of Intel's next generation processors.
This position will require active involvement in software design and
implementation as well as simulation and performance evaluation of
current and possible future processors.

Desirable (not required) qualifications include:
    - self-motivation, desire to learn and work
    - knowledge and interest in computer architecture
    - knowledge and interest in compilers and optimizations
    - familiarity with Intel Architecture (e.g. assembly language)
    - ability to program in C and Perl
    - superior writing and speaking communication skills
    - familiarity with UNIX or Windows NT environments

Please note we are only able to offer positions to US citizens and
permanent residents. Questions and resumes (ascii or postscript only)
should be sent by email only to compjobs@ibeam.jf.intel.com.

-------------------------------

From: Rob Beaver <robb@microware.com>
Subject: Compiler job openings at Microware, Des Moines, Iowa
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:48:08 -0600 (CST)

                            Compiler Engineering Opportunities

Microware Systems Corporation seeks qualified candidates for a number
of positions in our Research and Development organization located in
Des Moines, Iowa. We are looking for highly motivated self starters
who can join our small close knit group of engineers to produce and
maintain state-of-the-art compilation systems.

Senior Compiler Engineer

Responsibilities will include the design and implementation of major
features and performance improvments in our existing compilation
system as well as retargeting to new hardware architectures.

Desired Qualifications:
    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of
        education and experience.
    - Minimum of 2 years experience developing commercial compiler products
        or commensurate academic experience.
    - Knowledge of all aspects of compilation systems.
    - Strong C language programming ability.
    - Experience with C++ and assembler (680x0, x86, PowerPC, RISC, DSP)
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

Any additional specialties and interests in the following will be helpful to
the successful applicant:
    - C++ compilation systems.
    - Interprocedural optimization.
    - Debugging optimized code.
    - Code generator generators.
    - Optimizing for superscalar, VLIW, or parallel architectures.
    - Diverse knowlege of object file formats. (ELF, COFF, XCOFF, OMF, PE)
    - Embedded/realtime software devlopment experience/familiarity.
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

Compiler Engineer

Responsibilities will include the design and implementation of major
features and performance improvements in our existing C, C++, and
POSIX.1 runtime environments.

Desired Qualifications:
    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of
        education and experience.
    - Knowledge of all aspects of compilation systems.
    - Strong C and C++ language programming ability.
    - Assembly language programming ability (680x0, x86, PowerPC, RISC)
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

Any of these additional qualifications will be helpful to the successful
applicant:
    - Experience developing runtime support for commercial compiler products
        or commensurate academic experience.
    - Familiarity with runtime support as specified by the ISO C standard
    - Familiarity with runtime support as specified by the emerging ISO C++
        standard.
    - Familiarity with runtime support as specified by POSIX.1.
    - Familiarity with OS-9/OS-9000 realtime operating systems.
    - Embedded/realtime software devlopment experience/familiarity.
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

Compiler Test Engineer

Responsibilities will include designing and implementing test plans
for automated validation of our C and C++ compilers, and defect
isolation. Testing will occur on a number of platforms including OS-9,
UNIX, and Windows.

Desired Qualifications:

    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of
        education and experience.
    - Familiarity with compilation systems and compiler theory.
    - C and C++ language programming ability.
    - Assembly language programming ability (680x0, x86, PowerPC, RISC)
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

Any of these additional qualifications will be helpful to the successful
applicant:

    - Knowledge of testing techniques and procedures.
    - Experience testing commercial compilation systems
    - Familiarity with commercial automated test tools and test suites
    - Thorough knowledge of C and C++ at the language and runtime level.
    - Embedded/realtime software devlopment experience/familiarity.
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

Senior Debugger Engineer

Responsibilities will include implementation and maintenance of
advanced debugging tools for our software development environments
targeting the OS-9 real-time operating system for Motorola 680x0,
Intel 80x86, Motorola/IBM PowerPC and other RISC processors.

Desired Qualifications:
    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of education
        and experience
    - Minimum of 3 years experience developing debuggers or compilers.
    - Knowledge of all aspects of debuggers and debugging primitives.
    - Strong C language programming ability.
    - Experience with C++ and assembler (680x0, x86, PowerPC, RISC, DSP)
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

The ideal candidate will also have:

    - Understanding of real-time/embedded systems.
    - Understanding of source level debugging support for C++ and
        object oriented systems.
    - Debugging optimized code.
    - Diverse knowlege of object file formats. (ELF, COFF, XCOFF, OMF, PE)
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

Senior Strategic Partnering Engineer

Responsibilities will include implementation and maintenance of OS-9 target
ABI's, and improving third party tool integration by developing relationships
with, and providing technical expertise to, third party tool vendors. This will
include emualtor vendors, third party compiler vendors, and third party high
level tool vendors.

Desired Qualifications:
    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of education
        and experience
    - Minimum of 5+ years software development experience.
    - Strong interpersonal communication skills.
    - Knowledge of debugging and object file formats.
    - Knowledge of C/C++ language ABIs.
    - Understanding of debugging primitives.
    - Understanding of communication protocols and interprocess communication.
    - Strong C language programming ability.
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

The ideal candidate will also have:

    - Understanding of real-time/embedded systems.
    - Knowledge of OS-9, UNIX, and Windows.
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

>From _The_Wall_Street_Journal_ to _Wired_, Microware Systems
Corporation is making the headlines. From interactive television and
cellular telephones to traffic controllers and medical
instrumentation, Microware real-time system software is affecting
every aspect of daily life. Microware's OS-9 Real-Time Operating
System has been deployed in millions of high-performance devices
around the world. And Microware's DAVID has become the standard for
interactive television software. Microware is defining the leading
edge because we hire the best and brightest people.

Microware is located in America's Heartland- Des Moines, Iowa. Where
quality of life is paramount. Where high school students have the
highest ACT scores in the country. Where housing is affordable. Where
a drive to work takes just 10 minutes. It is an ideal setting for
creating software that pushes the envelope.

Now, Microware is looking for more of the best and brightest to help
us continue to define the leading edge. Microware offers a very
attractive compensation package; including a competitive salary, major
health care coverage, and a 401(k) plan. Plus, Microware offers a
stimulating, challenging, yet casual environment.

If you are a computer professional looking for an unusual challenge in
a city with a high quality of life and a low cost of living, send your
resume with salary history in writing (no e-mail applications
accepted) to:

Human Resources Administrator
Microware Systems Corporation
1900 NW 114th St
Des Moines, IA 50325-7077

Microware Systems Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer.

-------------------------------

From: sreejit@cs.buffalo.edu (Sreejit Chakravarty)
Subject: Faulty Position at SUNY at Buffalo
Date: 15 Feb 1996 15:20:01 GMT

STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT BUFFALO
Faculty Position
-----------------

The Department of Computer Science seeks applications for a
tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level. Only
candidates with exceedingly high research promise will be
considered. We are seeking candidates in experimental areas of
Computer Science. Applicants with potential to work with researchers
in other departments will be preferred.

The department currently has 15 tenure-track faculty and numerous
full-time lecturers, and research and adjunct faculty members. Primary
research areas include: artificial intelligence, computational
complexity, computer vision, numerical linear algebra, parallel
algorithms, pattern recognition, programming languages, systems and
VLSI. Department members are actively engaged in interdisciplinary
research with the Graduate Group in High Performance Computing,
Cognitive Science Center, Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research
Institute, NSF National Center for Geographic Information and
Analysis, and the Center of Excellence for Document Analysis and
Recognition.

Address applications, including cover letter, curriculum vitae, a
one-page research statement, and names and addresses of three
references to: Professor Sreejit Chakravarty; Chair, Recruiting
Committee; 226 Bell Hall; Department of Computer Science; State
University of New York at Buffalo; Buffalo, NY
14260-2000. E-mail:sreejit@cs.buffalo.edu. Phone: (716) 645 3180 Ext
109. FAX: (716) 645 3464. For more information about the department
visit our home page at http://www.cs.buffalo.edu.

Please request your references to either mail or fax their
recommendation letters ASAP.

SUNY is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.