Re: debugger literature

taj@vanbc.wimsey.com (Taj Khattra)
17 Feb 1996 22:46:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
debugger literature chsmith@hopper.unh.edu (1996-02-09)
Re: debugger literature scotth@visix.com (1996-02-09)
Re: debugger literature taj@vanbc.wimsey.com (1996-02-17)
Re: debugger literature tjb@zko.dec.com (Tim Bingham) (1996-02-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: taj@vanbc.wimsey.com (Taj Khattra)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Feb 1996 22:46:20 -0500

Scott Hofmann (scotth@visix.com) wrote:
: chsmith@hopper.unh.edu (Craig H Smith) writes:
: > I'm looking for references on general debugger implementation --
: > nothing too esoteric. I've looked through some literature but they
: > stay focused on the typical stages of compilation.

Vern Paxson's "A Survey of Support for Implementing Debuggers" and
Mark Linton's "The Evolution of Dbx" are available electronically.

ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/debugger-support.ps.Z
ftp://interviews.stanford.edu/papers/dbx.ps.Z

There was also an in-progress report by someone documenting the
internals of GNU GDB - can't remember where it's stashed.

-taj