Re: Aliasing in ISO C

cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser)
16 Feb 1996 23:48:36 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Possible to write compiler to Java VM? (I volunteer to summarize) seibel@sirius.com (Peter Seibel) (1996-01-17)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? macrakis@osf.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C stevec@pact.srf.ac.uk (1996-02-14)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C rfg@monkeys.com (1996-02-16)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C jplevyak@violet-femmes.cs.uiuc.edu (1996-02-16)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C cdg@nullstone.com (1996-02-16)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-02-17)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C cliffc@ami.sps.mot.com (1996-02-19)
Re: Aliasing in ISO C Joris.Welkenhuysen@ping.be (1996-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1996 23:48:36 -0500

Stephen Clarke <stevec@pact.srf.ac.uk> writes:
> I agree with you, though I've never been brave enough take advantage
> of these aliasing restrictions in the compiler I work on!

Several years ago, some compilers provided a command line option to
perform optimizations based on the aliasing restrictions of the
standard. Now, the trend is to support this optimization by default,
and to provide a command line option to inhibit this optimization (for
programs that violate the alias restrictions). While certainly not
supported by all compilers, alias optimization by type is no longer
uncommon.

Some compiler vendors have reported that their customers want the
added performance of alias optimization by type. Resources and time
permitting, you may want to reconsider adding this feature to your
compiler, if not by default, at least as user-selectable option.

Best regards,
Christopher Glaeser cdg@nullstone.com
Nullstone Corporation http://www.nullstone.com