Multi-threaded compilers

Eric Gouriou <egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU>
16 Feb 1996 00:42:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Multi-threaded compilers egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU (Eric Gouriou) (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers jplevyak@violet-femmes.cs.uiuc.edu (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers pieper@mink.zko.dec.com (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers shaw@hammer.lcs.mit.edu (1996-02-16)
Re: Multi-threaded compilers nr@cs.purdue.edu (1996-02-16)

From: Eric Gouriou <egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1996 00:42:41 -0500

I am looking for papers/references about parallelization of compilers
(and NOT compilers for parallel machines), or distributed compilation.

  From my unsuccessful searches on the net, I could deduct that:
a) Those who looked at it thought the problem was not worth
      of attack (too easy).
b) Those who worked at it found distributed compilers useless.
c) The only people interested are the compiler companies and
      are not interested in sharing their experience.

  I would appreciate any comment on the validity of such claims.

  Thanks in advance

  Eric

-- Eric Gouriou egouriou@cs.ucla.edu
-- http://www.cs.ucla.edu/csd-grads-gs4/egouriou/
[I remember seeing a little work on it, but I've never seen anything
useful below the granularity of distributed make. -John]