Re: Maintaining old code

genew@mindlink.bc.ca (Gene Wirchenko)
13 Feb 1996 19:23:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-01-29)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-12)
Re: Maintaining old code genew@mindlink.bc.ca (1996-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: genew@mindlink.bc.ca (Gene Wirchenko)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Feb 1996 19:23:37 -0500

gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee) wrote:

[snipped previous posters' comments]

>Your comment certainly substantiates my (implied) assertion about the
>maintainability of C language code. I agree that gcc and etc. are
>valuable and popular but this has little to do with how maintainable
>they are.

          True.

>Incidentally, I saw similar comments and code obfuscations when
>maintaining Fortran IV code 20 years ago. It is depressing that the
>FSF sponsored code products haven't been designed, implemented, and
>maintained at a higher level of professionalism than what was common
>in 1976.

          FSF does not define the C language. They can only implement it.
I'll grant that C has some elements that are well short of optimum,
but try writing a C compiler without them.

>What's that latin phrase about "the more things change, the more they
>seem the same" ?

          That's "stay" not "seem" AFAIK.
          Software systems are much more complex these days. We are
pushing the envelope continually. That stays the same. Come up with
a paradigm and sooner or later, someone will try to go past it.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko