Re: Ada GC

boehm@parc.xerox.com (Hans Boehm)
4 Feb 1996 00:58:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Possible to write compiler to Java VM? (I volunteer to summarize) seibel@sirius.com (Peter Seibel) (1996-01-17)
Re: Ada GC hbaker@netcom.com (1996-01-29)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada GC bobduff@world.std.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC jmartin@cs.ucla.edu (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC hbaker@netcom.com (1996-02-03)
Re: Ada GC boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC hbaker@netcom.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC redhawk@flash.net (Ken & Virginia Garlington) (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC rogoff@sccm.Stanford.EDU (1996-02-09)

From: boehm@parc.xerox.com (Hans Boehm)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 4 Feb 1996 00:58:49 -0500

dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

>Well there are several applicable algorithms, but we don't need to get
>into that to argue this point. Just consider an application which can
>successfully use fixed-length blocks. In this case it is trivial to
>write a dynamuc storage allocator with constant time allocation and
>deallocation, and no fragmentation effects. Note that fixed sized
>blocks do not significantly help GC, but they certainly help
>allocators with explicit deallocation.

>I have seen a number of real time systems written in this kind of
>allocation environment.

>By having separate pools for separate lengths of blocks, one can
>extend this technique to multiple sizes of blocks.

Certainly. But that doesn't make a very good general purpose
allocator. Thus the application would presumably include its own
allocator. That's equally possible in a garbage collected system or
one with explicit deallocation. Thus it seems to me the issue is moot
for this kind of application. Even a non-real-time GC is fine if you
don't use it to allocate while the system is running.

(I would claim fixed size blocks also help a GC, but I think that's
beside the point here. And the improvement is probably less
substantial, depending on the GC.)

Hans-J. Boehm
(boehm@parc,xerox.com)