Re: Ada design

blaak@mda.ca (Ray Blaak)
4 Feb 1996 00:58:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-01-30)
Re: Ada design stt@copperfield.camb.inmet.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada design ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada design rfg@monkeys.com (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada design salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada design adam@irvine.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada design blaak@mda.ca (1996-02-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: blaak@mda.ca (Ray Blaak)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 4 Feb 1996 00:58:18 -0500

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon) writes:

>Ada is really the language of the nineties: forbid
>smoking, forbid cholesterol, forbid sex. Maybe its better for me, but
>it sure takes the fun out of life.

I have always found this idea a little strange. There seems to be a
political image associated with one's choice of language: Ada is for
conservative types who like state control; C is for liberated free
thinkers with cool clothes who can dance at the edge of anarchy.

(Un)fortunately, digital computers don't give a damn about politics. A
single bit error can bring a whole system crashing down. For safe
systems, adherence to interfaces is crucial for reliable
behaviour. Using a strongly typed language enforces the *programmer's*
abstractions, independent of their political bent. At any rate, one is
free to use dangerous programming practices in Ada; it is simply more
more obvious that they are occurring.

Cheers,
Ray Blaak
blaak@mda.ca