Re: Ada syntax

Ken & Virginia Garlington <redhawk@flash.net>
3 Feb 1996 12:26:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Possible to write compiler to Java VM? (I volunteer to summarize) seibel@sirius.com (Peter Seibel) (1996-01-17)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-01-30)
Re: Ada syntax tmoran@bix.com (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada syntax ddavenpo@redwood.DN.HAC.COM (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada syntax redhawk@flash.net (Ken & Virginia Garlington) (1996-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ken & Virginia Garlington <redhawk@flash.net>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 3 Feb 1996 12:26:21 -0500

Daniel J. Salomon (salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
: Ada's philosophy seems to be, "When in doubt, forbid it." As a
: result, a programmer can spend a lot of time turning sensible safe
: code into code that religiously observes all of Ada rules.

Darren C Davenport wrote:
> I must be missing something here. I've never had that much trouble
> writing Ada programs.

I can think of one case where I end up changing "sensible" code. When
I reuse packages from two different applications while creating a new
application, and both packages have the "same" type declared as base
types, then I have to do some "unnecessary" type conversions while
intermixing the two packages.

Of course, I have also done some of these "unnecessary" type
conversions and discovered that the types really aren't the same,
after all. So, on balance, I don't mind doing the extra work.

Certainly, if you think before you code, you don't ever have to write
stuff that's extraneous. If you're slapping together a prototype in a
hurry, occasionally you might. However, in both cases, the code's
probably going to work right when you're done.