Re: 68000 to C ????

eivind@funcom.no (Eivind Eklund)
24 Jan 1996 10:31:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
68000 to C ???? ssmith4257@aol.com (1996-01-23)
Re: 68000 to C ???? eivind@funcom.no (1996-01-24)
Re: 68000 to C ???? cspt@giraffe.ru.ac.za (1996-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: eivind@funcom.no (Eivind Eklund)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 1996 10:31:51 -0500

ssmith4257@aol.com (SSmith4257) writes:

>I am looking for any information about any 68000 to C conversion
>programs?

I have seen an advertisement for such a beast, yes. This was in
``Programmers Market'' in a back issue of C/C++ Users Journal,
sometime in 1994 (July?). I am presently unable to find the issue,
and thus also unable to find the exact reference - sorry about that.
I'll try to dig it up and post it later.

The program translated 68k code to C, but in a fashion where it still
was on an instruction-by-instruction basis; it would compile from C,
but it would be difficult code to work with if you were going to do
further modifications. It was presented as a way to do easy direct
translation, which it indeed seemed to be. If you are going to keep
working on the code, I would suggest replacing routine by routine, and
not try to modify the dis-assembled code (which this in reality was),
though.

>[This question comes up from time to time asking about x86 to C
>decompilers. Don't hold your breath, useful decompilation is extremely
>difficult. -John]

Proved you wrong ;-)
--
Eivind Eklund