Better tools than lex & yacc(was Re: LL(1) vs LALR(1) parsers)

dkulkarn@aristotle.helios.nd.edu (Dinesh Kulkarni)
17 Dec 1995 00:30:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: LL(1) vs LALR(1) parsers ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1995-11-29)
Re: LL(1) vs LALR(1) parsers maatwerk@euronet.nl (1995-12-09)
Re: LL(1) vs LALR(1) parsers mparks@oz.net (1995-12-12)
Better tools than lex & yacc(was Re: LL(1) vs LALR(1) parsers) dkulkarn@aristotle.helios.nd.edu (1995-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dkulkarn@aristotle.helios.nd.edu (Dinesh Kulkarni)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Dec 1995 00:30:07 -0500

mparks@oz.net (Michael Parkes) writes:
>Additionally, lots of people here refer to 'lex' and 'yacc'. These tools were
>developed around 1976 ! and are very old. Most modern tools support
>intergrated lexical, syntax and semantic analysis. Some even support code
>generation. Hence, even mentioning 'lex' and 'yacc' implies that better tools
>have not been tried.
>scoping and so on. Hence, what I am really trying to say is that it is not
>quite 'lex' and 'yacc' is it. This is just one of the really great tools out
>there. Go try them !.

It is not clear which tool you are referring to. More generically,
would you care to recommend any such 'state of the art' tools? Lex &
yacc (or flex & bison) are so popular (IMHO) because they are widely
available on a number of platforms, stable and well-understood (help
in the form of books, examples, experienced users etc. is
available). Are there any 'better' tools that

1. are available on multiple platforms;
2. are at least reasonably stable and complete
      (i.e. not incomplete prototypes or orphans abandoned by students who have
      graduated);
3. do not cost a fortune?

If there are such tools, I am sure many on this forum would like to
know about them. Until then, lex & yacc will continue to rule - even
if they are far behind the state of the art as you claim.

Thanks.

Dinesh
[People seem to like PCCTS. -John]