Short Intro & F90 compiler development tool question

Bernd Wender <wender@par.univie.ac.at>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:35:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Short Intro & F90 compiler development tool question wender@par.univie.ac.at (Bernd Wender) (1995-11-14)
Re: Short Intro & F90 compiler development tool question sethml@gluttony.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-11-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Bernd Wender <wender@par.univie.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:35:01 GMT

As this is my first append to comp.compilers, I may give
you a short introduction about myself first:

I am working at the University of Vienna, Austria as a research / teaching
assistant at the Institute for Software Technology and Parallel Systems (Prof.
Zima) since almost 3 years. Our research group is investigating in languages,
compilers, and tools for parallel systems. Prof. Zima et al. defined the Vienna
Fortran programming language in 1992, which was one of the major inputs for
HPF. We have been developing the Vienna Fortran Compilation System (VFCS),
an advanced semiautomatical parallelizing compiler and toolset for DMMs.

My personal fields of interest are new parallel architectures such as virtual
shared memory systems and intelligent code generation schemes.

Let me come to my question now:

We are looking for a compiler development tool which is able to support

* implementation of transformations at a high level of abstraction
* transparent internal representation (ideally object oriented)
* F90 - frontend (open for extensions / modifications)

In the moment we know of three tools: Sage++, Cocktail, and Gentle/Smart.
We would be very glad if somebody is out there who is willing to share
practical experiences with one or more of these tools in particular w.r.t.

* stability
* expandability
* ease of use

in a F90 compiler project.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Bernd
University of Vienna, Institute for Software Technology and Parallel Systems.