Re: What does the world want from a programming language? (Re: Grammar for future languages)

jthill@netcom.com (Jim Hill)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:22:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammars for future languages schinz@guano.alphanet.ch (1995-10-22)
Grammar for future languages (2) jaccom@knoware.nl (Jacco van Muiswinkel) (1995-11-09)
What does the world want from a programming language? (Re: Grammar for torbenm@diku.dk (1995-11-09)
Re: What does the world want from a programming language? (Re: Grammar jthill@netcom.com (1995-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jthill@netcom.com (Jim Hill)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:22:02 GMT

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben AEgidius Mogensen) wrote:

>Another way is to provide very high level constructs in the language, ...
>Another way to decrease production time is (semi-)automatic
>configuration of code

I think these two are different views of the same thing. Specify the
operations you want to do on a collection (to avoid 'list') and let the
"compiler" use hints and feedback to dope out what structures and
algorithms to implement so the operations you use most go fast. Heavy
doses of this would I think produce source that looks a lot like database
languages, but databases don't typically rewrite layouts and boundaries to
match observed access patterns...

Jim
--
Jim Hill