Re: Smalltalk VM -> Java VM

tore@lis.pitt.edu (Tore Joergensen)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:14:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Smalltalk VM -> Java VM laffra@morgan.com (Chris Laffra) (1995-10-23)
Re: Smalltalk VM -> Java VM traynor@newton.texel.com (1995-10-25)
Re: Smalltalk VM -> Java VM tore@lis.pitt.edu (1995-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tore@lis.pitt.edu (Tore Joergensen)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:14:19 GMT

Christopher J. Traynor (traynor@newton.texel.com) wrote:
: Chris Laffra (laffra@morgan.com) wrote:
: : Has anyone considered developing a Smalltalk VM to Java VM
: : translator? Is such a thing feasible?
...deleted...
: I think that a better approach would be to begin with a
: version of smalltalk where they have evolved past the bootstrap
: compiler (the one written in C or whatever) ; if the actual
: compilation to byte codes happens in the image (ie. the whole
: compiler is in smalltalk), then you could attack the problem at that
: level and just re-write the back end so that it produces the
: appropriate byte codes for the Java VM.
...deleted...

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I'll include a part of a posting
from Intermetrics:
---
Intermetrics is also creating a version of the AdaMagic front end that
generates "Java byte codes" compatible with Sun's Java(tm) and
HotJava(tm) Web-based programming technology (see http://www.javasoft.com/),
allowing the use of Ada 95 to create "applets" and full applications
for use in graphic-oriented, platform-independent, Web-based, client/server
systems.

For more information, contact Mike Ryer -- ryer@inmet.com, or check
out the Intermetrics web page (soon to have some AdaJava applets!):

      http://www.inmet.com/
---
Ada95 and Java have much in common, so it is quite possible that is will
be much harder to make a smalltalk version (I don't know).
--
| Tore B. Joergensen | e-mail : tore@lis.pitt.edu |
| Centre Court Villa | web : http://www.pitt.edu/~tojst1 |