Bootstrapping investigation (looking for discussion and/or references..)

WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (Wilbur Streett)
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 22:24:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bootstrapping investigation (looking for discussion and/or references. WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1995-10-21)
Re: Bootstrapping investigation (looking for discussion and/or referen pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (Wilbur Streett)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 22:24:31 GMT

I just spent a about 15 minutes skimming the book "Compiler Design". The
particular item that struck my fancy was about 1 1/2 pages about
bootstrapping a compiler and from one platform to the next, and even
bootstrapping a compiler so that the first version created which does not
optimize is used to create the optimizing version which in turn optimizes
itself.

I'm looking to develop a new computing environment, and I assume that at
some point it might be easier to create a new language to support than
environment than to to have the general development environment write
everything in C++ or somesuch... (not to mention how it will be more
proprietary, and more of an independent architecture, which will foster a
focus on the new environment..)

Anyway...I would be very interested in any discussion about bootstrapping
as it would pertain to the development of a new language, or any reference
to any exercise of the bootstrapping concepts, as they pertain to compiler
development.

Thanks in advance.....

Wilbur