Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.)

Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr (Martin Jourdan)
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:57:59 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) ECE@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za (John Carter) (1995-09-29)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) preston@tera.com (1995-09-29)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) creedy@mitre.org (1995-10-02)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) stefan.monnier@epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-10-03)
Re: Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) chase@centerline.com (1995-10-04)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) imp@village.org (Warner Losh) (1995-10-11)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr (1995-10-18)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) blume@zayin.cs.princeton.edu (1995-10-23)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) wclodius@lanl.gov (1995-10-28)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) cliffc@ami.sps.mot.com (1995-11-03)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) chase@centerline.com (1995-11-06)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) chase@centerline.com (1995-11-06)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) hbaker@netcom.com (1995-11-10)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr (Martin Jourdan)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:57:59 GMT

> Off the top of my head, I can think of (my two favorites) Modula-3 and
> Scheme (both available for free), Eiffel, Python, Sather, other Lisps, ML,
> and Java. If enough people used one of these languages, you'd also get
> pipeline optimization, but you wouldn't have to suffer for it.

Note that, if you use an implementation of such a language in which the
compiler generates C code, you automatically benefit from low-level
optimizations performed by the C "back-end", incl. pipeline optimization
(scheduling). For instance, the Bigloo and Camloo compilers for Scheme and
Caml (ML), developed at INRIA, concentrate on "real issues" and let the C
back-end deal with low-level details.

A side benefit is that the C code produced by such compilers is generally
free from hard-to-analyze features (e.g. aliases) that hinders low-level
optimizations, so that, altogether, the executable you obtain from a
Scheme or ML source is quite competitive with the one you get from
hand-written C code (and of course much easier to write).

                                                                                Martin Jourdan

Action Charme, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France
Phone +33-1-39-63-54-35, fax +33-1-39-63-56-98, Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr