different results with different f77 optimizers

Tom Keyes <keyes@chem.bu.edu>
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:55:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
different results with different f77 optimizers keyes@chem.bu.edu (Tom Keyes) (1995-09-24)
Re: different results with different f77 optimizers ah739@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (1995-09-29)
Re: different results with different f77 optimizers roberson@hamer.ibd.nrc.ca (1995-09-30)
Re: different results with different f77 optimizers cliffc@ami.sps.mot.com (1995-10-05)
Re: different results with different f77 opti bliss@worm.convex.com (1995-10-05)
Re: different results with different f77 optimizers preston@tera.com (1995-10-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.apps,comp.compilers
From: Tom Keyes <keyes@chem.bu.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:55:13 GMT

  I am running some molecular dynamics simulations on an SGI 150 MHz
'Challenger' with IRIX 5.2. I compile the Fortran source with f77
-O3 -non_shared;if I try -O3 alone I get a message that the system does
not support -O3 in 'shared' mode, please use non_shared. The program
compiles and runs fine. Recently I recompiled with no optimizer,which I
understand leads to the default '-O1'. Again the program compiled and
ran fine-the same identical program-but now one of the calculated
quantities was radically different. I have checked enough now to verify
that these two different optimizers really do lead to different results.

  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, Tom Keyes