Re: Re: IRIX and OSF/1 compilers: whose?

mac@yukon.asd.sgi.com (Michael McNamara)
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 21:10:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
IRIX and OSF/1 compilers: whose? tm@netcom.com (1995-08-23)
Re: IRIX and OSF/1 compilers: whose? iank@dircon.co.uk (1995-08-27)
Re: Re: IRIX and OSF/1 compilers: whose? mac@yukon.asd.sgi.com (1995-09-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mac@yukon.asd.sgi.com (Michael McNamara)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 21:10:04 GMT

iank@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) writes:
> tm@netcom.com (Toshiyasu Morita) writes:
>
> >I'm wondering who makes the SGI IRIX and DEC OSF/1 stock ccs: they're
> >remarkably similar, with nearly identical manpages.
>
> The folks frm mips. (It's the mention of ucode, and the availability
> of pixie, that gives it away.) The SGI connection is easy,
> of course, but apparently some of them later moved from mips to DEC.

Actually, the lineage of how the MIPS ucode/pixie compiler got to DEC
was not because "some of them [MIPS compiler people] later moved from
MIPS to DEC," but rather because DEC had developed a series of
machines based on the MIPS R3000 chip, long before SGI bought MIPS,
and DEC had licensed the MIPS compiler system source code from MIPS.

DEC later used that C compiler source code to get their Alpha machine
up and running. Since then, I understand, DEC has been working on
their own C compiler system.

-mac