Re: Is there a Tool for transforming an intermediate language into another ??

parrt@lonewolf.parr-research.com (Terence John Parr)
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:51:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is there a Tool for transforming an intermediate language into another lurbina@dali.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE (Luis Urbina) (1995-08-21)
Re: Is there a Tool for transforming an intermediate language into ano parrt@lonewolf.parr-research.com (1995-08-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: parrt@lonewolf.parr-research.com (Terence John Parr)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:51:02 GMT

Luis Urbina (lurbina@dali.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE) wrote:
: I am looking for a tool for transforming any intermediate
: language IL1 into another Il2, by, for instance, only
: describing the source language IL1 and the target language IL2.

That's probably a fantasy (or academic ;)).

However, you might consider SORCERER--a tool for walking
and manipulating trees. You provide SORCERER with a grammatical
description of the source tree structure and then specify a bunch
of actions that either rewrite the tree or generate some output
directly. SORCERER generates a depth-first tree walker in C or C++
as a collection of mutually recursive member functions.

We have used SORCERER to good effect for a number of large source-to-source
translation contracts. Multiple phases may easily be linked together
to perform very complicated transformations. Take a look at
newsgroup comp.compilers.tools.pccts and see the pre-release version of
my book on SORCERER and other language tools at

ftp://ftp.parr-research.com/pub/pccts/Book/reference.ps

or

ftp://ftp.parr-research.com/pub/pccts/Book/reference.ps.gz

in pub/pccts/papers, you'll find some nice summary papers too.

Good luck,
Terence of the Surf