Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis possible? )

bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (Bill Leonard)
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 01:21:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis possi sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1995-07-21)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p bobduff@world.std.com (1995-07-26)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p macrakis@osf.org (1995-07-28)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p chase@centerline.com (1995-07-28)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-08-03)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p mfinney@inmind.com (1995-08-07)
Re: Implementation and Optimization of exceptions ( static analysis p bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (Bill Leonard)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 01:21:47 GMT

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
> I believe you can also follow each `call' instruction with a word of
> data that effectively implements the address range table and/or a call
> instruction that jumps to code that handles the exception. However,
> the normal procedure call/return needs to be set up to jump past the
> exception code that follows the call and the code growth is
> proporitional to the number of callers not the number of callees.

I believe this is equivalent in space to the address range table, because
you need, for each call site, code or a table to tell the exception code
how to unwind the stack. (For C++, you'd also need some information about
what objects need to be destroyed.)

I think the only advantage to this scheme, then, is that the lookup for
finding the address range table is dead simple. Not a trivial advantage,
to be sure, but I don't see that it buys you a lot of space savings.

--
Bill Leonard
Harris Computer Systems Corporation