GCC as front end for C++ browser?

mikey@mcs.com (Mike Young)
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:32:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC as front end for C++ browser? mikey@mcs.com (1995-07-11)
Re: GCC as front end for C++ browser? mnp@compass-da.com (Mitchell N. Perilstein) (1995-07-16)
Re: GCC as front end for C++ browser? sanjay@clef.lcs.mit.edu (1995-07-16)
Re: GCC as front end for C++ browser? jan@janhh.shnet.org (1995-07-17)
Re: GCC as front end for C++ browser? sc@iaxp01.inf.uni-jena.de (Sebastian Schmidt) (1995-07-18)
ANNOUNCE: C++ browser hack (was GCC as front end...) sanjay@clef.lcs.mit.edu (1995-07-19)
Re: GCC as front end for C++ browser? vmulyk@bnr.ca (victor (v.) mulyk) (1995-07-21)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mikey@mcs.com (Mike Young)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:32:25 GMT

I'm considering writing a browser for C++/C code using GCC's front end as
the "parser." Having used MSVC for a short time, I've become quite
attached to the code browser built into its work environment. Now that I'm
safely back home in UNIX, I do sorely miss being able to hot-key to
definitions/references for arbitrary symbols. Tags in emacs and vi fall
far, far short of this capability.

In essence, I'll be compiling code into a symbol database, and building
the browser around this symbol database. Naturally, I have a few
questions before I get started.

Does this sound viable as a quick, evenings-only project? Are there other
tools that already do a good job of this? Is gcc's front end a suitable
starting point? How hard is it to learn and use? Where do I find more
information about gcc internals? Are there better, simpler ways to
accomplish this same end?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike.