executable intermediate languages

magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu (Daniel Risacher)
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 14:20:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
executable intermediate languages magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu (1995-07-03)
Re: executable intermediate languages ckuethe@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (1995-07-06)
Re: executable intermediate languages wilson@cs.utexas.edu (1995-07-11)
Re: executable intermediate languages toconnor@vcd.hp.com (1995-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu (Daniel Risacher)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 14:20:41 GMT

I'm intending to develop and implement a language for cellular
automata as my master's thesis. I'd like to know more about
what sort of executable intermediate languages have been used for
other projects. For instance, both GNU Emacs and Perl can
'compile' the source language into a fast 'p-code' representation,
but neither does so into code which is machine native.

I'm looking for info or references on what these 'p-code languages'
look like and how they work. Anyone care to enlighten me?

-Dan Risacher