flex/byacc cooperation question

ast@coho.halcyon.com (Andrew Tucker)
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 17:31:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
flex/byacc cooperation question ast@coho.halcyon.com (1995-06-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ast@coho.halcyon.com (Andrew Tucker)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 17:31:06 GMT

I'm writing a compiler in flex and byacc and ran across a problem. I
was able to work around it, but I want to know if it's me or a problem
with the software.

The problem is with tracking line numbers. The lexer just consumes newlines
and increments a counter, not passing anything back to the parser. The
problem is that given a byacc rule like this:

stmt:
        SYMBOL EQUAL expr
        {
                ErrorMessage(..);
        }

when ErrorMessage prints using the current value of the line number variable,
the value is always the next line of code. For example:

1: int j
2:
3: j = H
4:
5: j = 5

would report that the use of the undeclared variable H occurred on line 5.
Basically, flex is consuming all the newlines up to the next valid statement
before byacc fires the semantic actions for that rule.

Like I mentioned, I did work around this, but is this the expected behavior
from flex and byacc or a problem with them?

Thanks!!
--
| /* Andrew */ |