Any assembly to {pseudocode | flowchart} converter?

"Prakash R." <rprakash@cdotb.ernet.in>
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:29:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Any assembly to {pseudocode | flowchart} converter? rprakash@cdotb.ernet.in (Prakash R.) (1995-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Prakash R." <rprakash@cdotb.ernet.in>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:29:36 GMT

This message was originally submitted by rprakash@CDOTB.ERNET.IN to the
COMPIL-L list at LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU. If you simply forward it back to the
list, using a mail command that generates "Resent-" fields (ask your local user
support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will
be distributed and the explanations you are now reading will be removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able to contact the author of this message by using the normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (42 lines) ------------------
Is there a "assembly" to { pseudo code | flowchart } convertor
somewhere? ( Assembly --> C would also do fine. )

The real problem:
------------------

I have inherited an old system whose entire code is written in
assembly. None of the original people who have developed them are around.
There is very little documentation available.

Now I have to make changes in the system. I have to sit and make
sense out of the code. I am not very used to large systems written in
assembly. What can I do? Right now, I'm "flowcharting" the code by hand
and try to interpret it.

The system is being phased out. So re-engineering the system is
ruled out. ( The system will still be around for about one to 1-1/2 years.
i.e., until the new product comes out. ) So I need something to keep it
alive for that long.

What do I do? What kind of S/W can be used to help me make sense
of the code? I don't know whether this is the right mailing list to ask
this question. But any pointers would be very helpful.

Any FAQs, any mailing lists, any S/W or anybody with similar
experience? Any info would be greatly appreciated?

- Thanks in advance
Prakash :)

Prakash R. email : rprakash@cdotb.ernet.in
Research Engineer. Phone : 091-80-2263399 / Extn - 235

Centre for Development of Telematics
Sneha Complex, Fax : 091-80-2263256
71/1, Miller Road,
Bangalore - 560052
India.
[I once reviewed an assembler flowcharter for Computer Language, but
concluded that it wasn't of much use. -John]