NP-complete problem in automatic compiler parallelization?

tjw@sas-sun.nersc.gov (Timothy Williams)
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:06:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
NP-complete problem in automatic compiler parallelization? tjw@sas-sun.nersc.gov (1995-06-14)
Re: NP-complete problem in automatic compiler parallelization? Martin.Jourdan@inria.fr (1995-06-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
From: tjw@sas-sun.nersc.gov (Timothy Williams)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:06:25 GMT

I have heard of a proof having to do with compilers trying to
automatically parallelize code with general dependencies. The gist was
that there is an NP-complete problem somewhere in there, making
prospects for automatic parallelization look bad.

I recently saw a statement of what was proved somewhere in an online
book or paper on the WWW, but I can't remember where! I don't really
need, and probably couldn't understand the proof, but I would like to
find a correct statement of what was proved.

Please post/email a statement of this if you know it, or pointers to a
book/paper *likely* to have it (I've already spent a bit of time
stabbing in the dark at the library myself).

Thanks,

--

| Tim Williams (tjw@nersc.gov 510-423-6278) |