Re: Best, Simple versus Best

"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:11:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Optimizing Across && And || leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-03-07)
Best, Simple versus Best preston@tera.com (1995-03-14)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1995-03-15)
Best, Simple versus Best Jon.Bertoni@Eng.Sun.COM (1995-03-15)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best hbaker@netcom.com (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best oz@nexus.yorku.ca (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1995-03-20)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-03-21)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best csabhv@upe.ac.za (Prof Herman Venter) (1995-03-30)
Best, Simple versus Best preston@tera.com (1995-03-30)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best ryg@summit.novell.com (1995-04-15)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best ryg@summit.novell.com (1995-04-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:11:50 GMT

In article 95-03-082 Preston Briggs writes:
>The entire discussion to this point reminds me of an essay by Richard
>Gabriel (I'm sorry I don't have even a minimal reference) contrasting
>the "MIT/Stanford style of design" with the "New Jersey approach."

Ah - one my all time favorite papers!
Even if you are not interested in his views on Lisp, it is a great
essay on design.

>(BTW, I've only presented a brief summary of the first half of
>Gabriel's essay. He actually concentrates on the design of Lisp and
>makes many interesting points. If someone can give me a reference,
>even a title, for this thing, I'd be obliged.)

Lisp: Good News, Bad News, How to Win Big. Richard P. Gabriel.

Gabriel's analysis of why Lisp has failed in the marketplace -
contains his contrast of "MIT" vs "NJ" design approach.

I got a copy from one of the lisp repositories - I have fogotten
where, but I have .dvi,.ps, & .tex copies at:

<http://minsky.med.virginia.edu/sdm7g/LangCrit/gabriel/>

---| Steven D. Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> |---
---| Computer Systems Engineer University of Virginia |---
---| Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics |---
---| Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 |---