Re: Best, Simple versus Best

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 16:14:21 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Optimizing Across && And || leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-03-07)
Best, Simple versus Best preston@tera.com (1995-03-14)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1995-03-15)
Best, Simple versus Best Jon.Bertoni@Eng.Sun.COM (1995-03-15)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best hbaker@netcom.com (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best oz@nexus.yorku.ca (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1995-03-20)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-03-21)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best csabhv@upe.ac.za (Prof Herman Venter) (1995-03-30)
Best, Simple versus Best preston@tera.com (1995-03-30)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best ryg@summit.novell.com (1995-04-15)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 16:14:21 GMT

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs) wrote:
> The entire discussion to this point reminds me of an essay by Richard
> Gabriel (I'm sorry I don't have even a minimal reference) contrasting
> the "MIT/Stanford style of design" with the "New Jersey approach."
[snip]
> Following Lee, he suggests that the MIT/Stanford approach can be
> captured in the phrase "the right thing." The following
> characteristics are important: (I'll try and quote exactly)
[snip]
> The New Jersey approach (also called "worse is better") is slightly
> different. Their characteristics are (deliberately caricatured) as
[snip]

With the advent of Standard ML of New Jersey, Gabriel's 'New Jersey'
reference has become a bit out-dated, since to my knowledge, SML/NJ
tries very hard to do the 'right thing'. Although I have a personal bias
against its syntax, I can admit that SML/NJ has been extraordinarily productive
in the development of relatively simple, but very powerful optimization
techniques.

Re the 'right thing':

The Romans were phenomenally successful at dominating the world for the
better part of a thousand years, even though they used one of the worst
number systems ever devised. If they had survived long enough to develop
computers, I am absolutely confident that Windoze-XCV (??) would utilize
Roman arithmetic throughout, and the computer science community would now
be teaching fast Roman numeral algorithms to their students.

'Elegance' is a concept that appeals to people who, like Archimedes, want
to personally move the world with a long lever. If you're happy to move
the world one micrometer at a time as one of the faceless horde working
for Mr. Gates, then elegance will have no appeal.

Just as Algol-60 and Algol-68 were considerably better than most of their
successors, ML & Haskell have shown us that the lambda-calculus is
considerably better and more useful than the Towers of Babel that computer
scientists have erected over the years. It's pretty amazing what
straightforward beta-expansion can achieve when you unchain it.

--
www/ftp directory:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/home.html