Re: Best, Simple versus Best

schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod)
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:46:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Best, Simple versus Best preston@tera.com (1995-03-14)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1995-03-15)
Best, Simple versus Best Jon.Bertoni@Eng.Sun.COM (1995-03-15)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best hbaker@netcom.com (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best oz@nexus.yorku.ca (1995-03-16)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1995-03-20)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-03-21)
Re: Best, Simple versus Best csabhv@upe.ac.za (Prof Herman Venter) (1995-03-30)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:46:52 GMT

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs) writes:
> The entire discussion to this point reminds me of an essay by Richard
> Gabriel (I'm sorry I don't have even a minimal reference)

For those interested: It's available by anonymous ftp:

        @misc{lang:lisp:gabriel:92.1,
          author = {Richard P. Gabriel},
          title = {Lisp: Good News, Bad News, How to Win Big},
          year = {ca.~1992}
          howpublished = {URL
        \path|ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu:/user/ai/lang/lisp/txt/gabriel/gabriel.tgz|},
          library = {own},
          annote = {
          \js{} Contrasts Lisp \& C development. The former is done with the
        {\sl MIT/Stanford approach of design\/} (aka ``doing the right
        thing''). It leads to good, but large and internally complex programs
        that are often monolithic and hard to port. The latter is done in the
        {\sl New Jersey approach of design}, where security and interface
        simplicity are often traded to performance wins. In addition, that
        paper is a nice overview about problems in Lisp programming. In
        particular, the wish that one should be able to write small
        applications in Lisp just like one does in C is still waiting for its
        fulfillment.
          }
        }

European folks might want to get it from
ftp://ftp.th-darmstadt.de/pub/programming/languages/lisp/Documentation/gabriel.tar.gz.
The archive has LaTeX, DVI, and PostScript versions of the document.

Joachim

--
Joachim Schrod Email: schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department